Info & Advice

See a doctor or gynaecologist

If you are wondering about whether your labia are normal, you will find the answers to a lot of common concerns here. You can also talk to a doctor who specialises in women’s health or a gynaecologist.

If you’re looking for a doctor, ask someone you trust for a recommendation or look online.

When you make an appointment, you can ask to see a doctor of your preferred gender if that would make you feel more comfortable.

When you call for an appointment, ask the receptionist whether the doctor will bulk bill. If they don’t bulk bill, you will need to pay for the appointment and you will receive a portion back through Medicare. If you have a health care card or if you don’t have an income, the doctor might be able to bulk bill you anyway. It’s worth checking with the receptionist.

You can apply for your own Medicare card once you’re 15. Even if you don’t have your own Medicare card, you can still make an appointment to see a doctor. The doctor may need to confirm your name and date of birth so they can contact Medicare to confirm your details. Your visit to the doctor will still be confidential.

You will need a referral from a doctor to make an appointment with a gynaecologist and they usually charge a bit more.

If you are really worried

If you are worried or are constantly thinking that there is something wrong with your labia, you should talk to a doctor who specialises in women’s health or a gynaecologist. You may also want to sit down with a health professional or gynaecologist and talk through the Labia Library resource. If you are unsure about how to start the conversation, you can refer your health professional to the Labia Library.

Other organisations that can help

These organisations are also good sources of information:

1800 My Options

A Victorian service that provides information about sexual and reproductive health including pregnancy options and contraception. 

Better Health Channel

Provides health and medical information to improve the health and wellbeing of people and the communities they live in. They also have Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Factsheets, which give sinformation about sexual and reproductive health issues at all life stages. 

Royal Women’s Hospital

The Women’s is a specialist hospital serving all of Victoria’s women for general and more complex gynaecology issues including chronic pelvic pain, female genital cutting, continence and prolapse.

Sexual Health Victoria 

Sexual Health Victoria has two dedicated sexual and reproductive health care clinics and also provide services for people under 21 that are low or no cost and youth friendly.

Love: The good, the bad and the ugly

A guide for young women on love, respect and abuse in dating relationships.


Sex education for the real world


Australia’s National Youth Mental Health Foundation that provides support for young people aged 25 and under. 

Beyond Blue

24/7 support that aims to increase community awareness and address issues associated with depression, anxiety and related substance misuse disorders in Australia.

Please note: We are only able to provide links to Australian services and resources. If you are an international visitor, please seek information from your local doctor, women’s health service or healthcare provider. You can also ask your doctor or healthcare provider to visit the Labia Library with you so that you can discuss it together in your appointment.